Careers and Internships
The unique and interdisciplinary nature of the BA/BSc Imaging Art and Science equips our students for employment in a range of different areas of the imaging industries. These include commercial image production(e.g. freelance photography/film, studio management, clinical photography, assisting and film shoot running), imaging science (e.g. imagery analysis, image research), technical roles (e.g. laboratory technician, digital asset management, scanning technician), computing (e.g. programming, software development, web development) as well as gallery, museum or editorial work, arts management, independent arts practice and imaging education.
Recent graduate employment from the BSc Photography and Digital Imaging Technologies (previous version of the course) has included:
- Apple, Cupertina: Camera Image Quality research and development
- Double Negative – Rotoscoper / prep artist
- Theprintspace – Digital Print Production Director
- Medicimage Ltd – Digital Asset Management
- Curtain Road Studios – Photographic Studio Manager
- Park Pictures (Commercial and film production) – Freelance shoot running
- Newscord Limited – Photographic Assistant
- Home Office Scientific Development Branch – Imaging Researcher
- Moorfield’s Eye Hospital – Medical Photographer
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals – Clinical Photographer
- IXICO (Contact Research Organisation) – Research and clinical trials involving imaging
- Ministry of Defence – Imagery Analyst
- Centervue (Opthalmic Diagnostics) – Image Processing Developer
Recent placements from our students have included:
- Direct Photographic (Lighting and Equipment)
- Touch Digital (Image Retouching)
- The Harley Street Clinic (Medical imaging)
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital (Clinical Photography)
- Conquest hospital, Hastings (Clinical Photography)
- Curtain Road Studios (Assisting and studio management)
- Front Magazine (Photography)
- Brazilian News (Image Editor and Events Photography)
- Great Ormond Street Hospital, Department of Medical Illustration
- Kodak, Research and Development
- Happy Finish (Digital Retouching)
- Andrew Holt (Architectural, Interiors, Aerial Photography – photographic assisting)
- Jason Tozer (Editorial, design, advertising photography – photographic assisting)
- Freelance Sports Photography
Since 2007, three of our students have completed a year-long sandwich placement at the Home Office Scientific Development Branch.
In 2010, one of our second year students, Simon Vitanza began a year long internship at Getty Images, before returning to complete and graduate from the course in 2013.
From 2014, second and third year students on the BSc strand, have been considered for a three-month (minimum) or up to a year’s internship with Apple in California, in Apple’s camera quality division. Potential candidates are considered for internships in the summer between years two and three; or upon graduating, provided they are returning students, accepted for postgraduate study.
THURSDAY 21 JUNE, 6PM – 10PM
FRIDAY 22 – SUNDAY 24 JUNE, 10AM – 7PM
Monday 25 June, 10am – 4pm
T1, OLD TRUMAN BREWERY, 81 BRICK LANE, LONDON E1 6QL
MA Photojournalism alumnus Jason Larkin is now showing at Flowers Gallery
Jason Larkin Past Perfect
Centred around questions of authenticity and the representation of collective histories, Past Perfect (2008 – 2016), is a new series of photographs by British photographer Jason Larkin, highlighting the visual presentation of war and conflict within public museums around the world.